Does anyone not love French Toast?
This Fruity Baked French Toast is definitely one you will want to try.
It’s my go to breakfast treat.
And it’s one of the things I most often order when out for breakfast, usually accompanied by bacon and maple syrup.
But how about a healthier version?
I’m a big fan of The Batch Lady, I have both her books and I’ve made her Blueberry French Toast a few times so this recipe is very much inspired by that. I just wanted to add in raspberries which I love and I wanted to add a layer of brioche on top so the fruit was sandwiched in between. The only thing better than one layer of French Toast is two, right?
This Fruity Baked French Toast is a great recipe for getting some more fruit into your day as well as calcium from the milk and protein from the eggs. It only has a little maple syrup in so there’s not too much sugar but just enough to add a touch of sweetness.
Start by cutting the brioche into squares and use about 3/4 of them to cover the base of a large pie dish.
Then cover with a layer of raspberries and blueberries.
Top with the rest of the brioche. Whisk together the eggs, milk, maple syrup, vanilla essence (I used homemade but that’s a post for another time) and cinnamon and pour over the brioche and fruit.
Patience required here.
It’s such an easy breakfast/brunch to make but you do have to restrain yourself from putting it straight in the oven. leaving it to chill and soak up the milky egg mixture is well worth the wait.
Once chilled heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and pop the dish on the middle shelf and bake for 30 minutes.
After 30 mins check to see how it’s doing. If necessary cover with foil and pop back in the oven for another 10 minutes. Check again after 10 minutes and if there is still some liquid visible lower the temp to 160 degrees and bake for another 10 minutes. remove form the oven and leave to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
What to serve with your Fruity Baked French Toast?
I served mine with chopped strawberries and grated chocolate. It’s also great with a dollop of Greek yoghurt.
Print out the recipe below and add to your collection.
Fruity Baked French Toast
- 1 large pie dish
- 10 slices Brioche loaf
- 5 Eggs
- 600 ml Milk
- 250 g Blueberries
- 250 g Raspberries
- 1 tbsp Vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 250 g Strawberries (optional for serving)
- 3 tbsp Grated chocolate (optional for serving)
- Cut the brioche slices into squares.
- Cover the base of the pie dish with about ¾ of the brioche squares. Keep the rest back to add another layer later.
- Cover the brioche squares with a layer of raspberries and blueberries.
- Top with the rest of the brioche squares.
- Whisk the milk, eggs, maple syrup, cinnamon and vanilla essence together and pour over the brioche and fruit.
- Using the back of a spoon gently press the brioche into the mix to make sure it is covered.
- Cover with clingfilm and chill in the fridge for at least 20 mins.
- Heat the oven to 180°C.
- Once chilled pop the dish in the oven and bake for 30 mins.
- After 30 mins check how it is doing and if necessary cover with foil and pop back in for another 10 mins.
- Check again and if there is still liquid visible turn down the temp to 160°C and pop back in for another 10 mins.
- Leave to sit for 5 mins before serving.
- Serve on it's own or with strawberries and grated chocolate, or some Greek yoghurt.
Don’t forget to Pin the recipe so you can easily find it later.
Feel free to share the recipe and let me know if you try it.
Why not check out my recipe for easy Crustless Quiche Muffins.